Lee was trained in Cuddesdon Theological College, and was ordained to priesthood 1856 by the Bishop of Oxford, Samuel Wilberforce.
Lee became together with Ambrose de Lisle and others, a co-founder of the Association for Promoting the Union of Christendom (A.P.U.C.). In Aberdeen he had difficulties with the bishop concerning his ritualistic practices, and finally became vicar of All Saints', Lambeth, London.
He founded a clandestine Anglo-Papalist society, the Order of Corporate Reunion, to continue the work of the A.P.U.C. and to restore the apostolic succession through re-ordinations as a means for reunion. Lee was consecrated a bishop by some Roman Catholic prelates whose names were kept secret. Later, however, Lee became disillusioned and recognized that he had made a mistake.
Lee was received into the Roman Catholic Church 11 December 1901, shortly before his death.
- Poems, 1850, 1854 (2nd ed.);
- Clinton Maynard, 1862;
- The Communion-Office of the Church of Scotland [= Episcopal Church of Scotland] (edit.), 1862;
- Prayers for the Reunion of Christendom (edit.), 1863;
- Sermons on the Reunion of Christendom (edit.), 1864;
- Directorium Anglicanum, 1865 (2nd ed.), 1878 (4th ed.);
- Franciscus a Sancta Clara [= Christopher Davenport],
- Paraphrastica expositio articulorum Confessionis Anglicanae (edit.), 1865; *Manual of Devotions for the Blessed Sacrament, 1866, 1869 (2nd ed.);
- Notitia Liturgica, 1866;
- The King's Highway, 1866, 1872 (2nd ed.);
- Altar Service Book, 3 vol., 1867;
- Essays on the Reunion of Christendom (edit.), 1867;
- Sermons, 1868;
- The Validity of the Orders of the Church of England Maintained and Vindicated, 1869;
- The Beauty of Holiness, 1860, 1869 (4th ed.);
- A Dictionary of Ritual, 1871;
- The Christian Doctrine of Prayer for the Departed, 1872;
- Manuale Clericorum, 1874;
- The Bells of Botteville Tower, 1874;
- Glimpses of the Supernatural, 2 vols., 1875;
- Memorials of R.S. Hawker (edit.), 1876;
- A Glossary of Liturgical and Ecclesiastical Terms, 1877;
- Pastoral Letter by the Rector, Provincials, and Provosts of the Order of Corporate Reunion, 1877;
- More Glimpses of the World Unseen, 1878;
- Historical Sketches of the Reformation, 1879;
- The Church under Queen Elizabeth, 2 vols., 1880, 1892 (2nd ed.);
- Hymns for Several Occasions, 1880;
- Reginald Barentyne, 1881, 1883 (2nd ed.);
- The History of the Prebendal Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Thame, 1883; *Glimpses in the Twilight, 1885;
- King Edward the Sixth, Supreme Head, 1886;
- Reginald Pole, 1888;
- A Manual of Politics, 1889;
- The Sinless Conception of the Mother of God, 1891;
- Sights and Shadows, 1894
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Brandreth, Henry R. T., Dr Lee of Lambeth: A Chapter in Parenthesis in the History of the Oxford Movement, London 1951.
- Lee, Frederick George, article in (Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge)
- Pitts Theology Library: Lee, Frederick George, 1832-1902. Collection, 1853-1899
- (German) Lee, Frederick George, BBKL
- Order of Corporate Reunion Facebook page
- Order of Corporate Reunion web site.
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original article was at Frederick George Lee. The list of authors can be seen in the page history.|