Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Bishop Griswold was educated at St Paul's School in Concord, New Hampshire and earned an AB in English literature from Harvard College (1959). He attended the General Theological Seminary and earned his BA in theology and MA from Oriel College, Oxford University (1962, 1966).
He has received honorary degrees from the General Theological Seminary, Seabury-Western Theological Seminary, Nashotah House, Sewanee, The University of the South and Berkeley Divinity School. Griswold was ordained an Episcopal priest in 1963 and then served at three parishes in Pennsylvania, including St Andrew's Church in Yardley, Pennsylvania, and St Martin-in-the-Fields in Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, from 1976 until his nomination as Bishop of Chicago. Griswold served as Bishop of Chicago from 1987 until he became presiding bishop in 1997.
Griswold was co-chair of the Anglican-Roman Catholic International Commission from 1998 to 2003, and a member of the standing committee for the 1998 Lambeth Conference. He has also served on diocesan, national and international committees for liturgy, worship and ecumenism. He is also a member of the Fellowship of the Society of St John the Evangelist and is known to have Anglo-Catholic tendencies. 
His term as presiding bishop ended on November 1, 2006. He was succeeded by the Most Revd Katharine Jefferts Schori, the first woman primate in the Anglican Communion.
- The Most Revd John M. Allin, 23rd Presiding Bishop
- The Rt Revd Francis G. Burrill, 8th Bishop of Chicago
- The Rt Revd James W. Montgomery, 9th Bishop of Chicago
- ↑ Prichard, Robert W.; Pub Co, Morehouse (1999). A history of the Episcopal Church. Harrisburg, PA: Morehouse Pub.. pp. 343. ISBN 0-8192-1828-6.
- ↑ Webber, Christopher (2004). Give us grace: an anthology of Anglican prayers. Harrisburg, PA: Morehouse Pub.. pp. 445. ISBN 0-8192-1962-2.
- ↑ thefreelibrary.com
- ↑ andromeda.rutgers.edu
- ↑ texasbishop.blogspot.com
- ↑ Photographs of at Saint Clement's Church
- episcopalchurch.org Past Presiding Bishops from the Presiding Bishop's website.
James W. Montgomery
|10th Bishop of Chicago|
1987 – 1998
| Succeeded by|
William D. Persell
Edmond Lee Browning
|25th Presiding Bishop|
January 1, 1998 – November 1, 2006
| Succeeded by|
Katharine Jefferts Schori
|This article about an individual Anglican bishop or archbishop is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|