This article expressess a personal opinion about a religion or a topic related to religion. Please be respectful in your talk page comments, even if you strongly disagree with the opinions expressed here. You can, of course, write another article about the same subject. Different opinions are welcome on Religion Wiki.
|Part of the series Mirianism|
|‘Idtā d-Madniiḥā d-Miryin|
|1||Foundations of Faith|
|*||Discussion on Mirianism|
The major eschatological themes of Mirianism are realized eschatology and a form of partial preterism. It teaches that Jesus Christ spiritually returned in judgement during the 70 AD siege of Jerusalem and the destruction of the Jewish Second Temple; the earliest Christians and a remnant of Jews ultimately survived to the next age (New Testament era). However, Mirianism also teaches that Jesus "returned" substantially through an agent that would complete the fulfillment of all the remaining biblical prophecies.
The Second Coming of the Son of Man
The second coming of the Messiah is used in two ways within Mirian eschatology: (1) The ("spiritual") judgment coming of Jesus Christ in 70 AD to gather up the remnant church from Jerusalem and bring about the "wrath of God" upon that city and upon Judea in general; (2) the second coming of the Son of Man through a representative agent in the new era of the post-New Testament age. The second view is characterized by one named the "Son of Man" (Mirian Syriac: bar-’enaš) coming to restore all things (Apocatastasis; see Matt. 17:11-13) in the spirit of Jesus to perfect the path to which John the Baptist should have restored, and to rule over the New Jerusalem under the authority of the Ancient of Days (‘atiyq yawmta’) as foretold by the Prophet Daniel in the Book of Daniel 7:13-14.
The Son of Man of the last age was a descendant of Judah (Jesus Christ). The Son of Man of the current (post-New Testament) age will be of a nation that Israel did not know, and one that will make Israel envious (Romans 10:16-21). The Son of Man will reintroduce the New Covenant set forth by Jesus, and to bring new understanding. Mirianism teaches that this was symbolized in the transfiguration of Jesus, and His meeting with Moses and Elijah who represent the law and prophecy in the Old Testament respectively (Matt. 17:1-9).
Since the Son of Man rules in heaven, the followers of Jesus (the Twelve Apostles) are sitting on Twelve Ruling Thrones to govern the Twelve Tribes of Israel, until all things are restored (Matt. 19:16-30). The Garden of Eden will be established once again on the earth, and sons of men will rule in the Kingdom of God.
Mirianism is Preterist in doctrine in that it holds to the belief that the signs mentioned by Jesus concerning the "Mini-Apocalypse" (Matt. 24, Mark 13, Luke 21) have already taken place in the first century, before and after the destruction of the Jewish Temple and Jerusalem in 70 AD. A harmony of the three Mini-Apocalypse discources from the Evangelists (as told in the Gospel of Harmony in chapter 19) is presented below:
- As He and His disciples went out of the temple, one of the Twelve called Jesus' attention to the buildings of the temple adorned with magnificent stones and of great architecture. Jesus then said to him, "For what you see hear right now, the time is coming when not one stone shall be left upon another; every stone shall be hurled down."
- As He sat on the Mount of Olives, some of His disciples asked Him privately about that time, saying, "Rabbi, when will be the time that these things you speak of to take place? What signs will accompany the end of the age?"
- Jesus said to them, "Take heed that you are not deceived. Many will come in my name saying, 'I am He' or 'The time draws close' and will deceive many. Do not go after them. But when you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed. Such things as these are bound to happen, but the end is still to come.
- "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs throughout the heavens. These are the beginning of birth pains.
- "But before these things take place, men will hand you over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by the nations because of Me. During that time many of you will turn from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and false prophets will appear and deceive many. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.
- "The gospel of the kingdom must first be preached to the nations and then the end will come. Whenever you are arrested and brouht to trial, do not worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves. I will give you words and wisdom, through the Holy Spirit, that your accusers will not be able to resist or contradict. You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers, friends, and relatives, but not a hair on your head will perish if they attempt to put you to death.
- "When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, this is when you will know that the city's desolation is right at the door. Then let the reader understand the Prophet Daniel's vision- let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. Let those in the city get out, and let those in the country not enter the city. Let no one on the roof of his house go down to take anything out of his house. Let no one in the fields go back to get his cloak. For it will be a time of chastisement in fulfillment of all that had been prophesied. How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath. For there will be distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now- and never to be equaled again. The saints will be able to escape the distress, but stay awake and keep your guard up that you may not fall astray by those claiming to be the Christ but are filled with hypocrisy and deceit. In those days, men will fall by the sword and be taken as prisoners to all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.
- "Signs in the sun, moon, and stars will appear. The nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. Men will faint from terror apprehensive of what is to happen, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. At that time men will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with great power and glory. When you see these things taking place, stand and lift up your heads, your redemption draws near.
- "Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness, and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap."
- He spoke to them a parable: "Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. Even so, when you see these things happening you know that the time is near. Truely, I say to you, this generation will not pass away till all these things have happened. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away."