Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Emmanuel III Delly|
|Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans|
|Church||Chaldean Catholic Church|
|See||Chaldean Catholic Patriarchate of Babylon|
|Enthroned||December 3, 2003|
|Predecessor||Raphael I Bidawid †|
October 6, 1927|
Tel Keppe, Iraq
Emmanuel III Delly (in Arabic مار عمانوئيل الثالث دلّي ) is the Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans and Primate of the Chaldean Catholic Church, an Eastern Catholic sui juris particular church of the Catholic Church and a Cardinal. He was born on October 6, 1927 in Tel Keppe and was ordained a priest on December 21, 1952. He was ordained a bishop ten years later in December 1962 at the age of 35. He has been the Patriarch of the Chaldean Church since December 3, 2003. He replaced Patriarch Raphael I Bidawid †. He was created a Cardinal Bishop on November 24, 2007.
His patriarchate in Iraq came at a fairly difficult time period. Before he became Patriarch he had been accidentally injured by shattered glass in an attack. Hence he has been strongly concerned about the security situation there. Although optimistic about the Iraqi elections he has expressed criticisms about upsurges in violences against Christians. He has taken efforts to improve the population's morale, maintain friendly relations with Islamic leaders, improve safety, and work for the release of kidnapping victims.
Since his election as Patriarch in December 2003, Mar Emmanuel III Delly has continued to work for the Chaldean Church. In Iraq, the Chaldean Church, which is the largest Christian Group, consists of eight dioceses totaling 100 parishes and approximately 600,000 people. Additionally, there are another eight dioceses outside of Iraq, in countries including Iran, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, Europe, Australia, Canada and the U.S. It is estimated that the Chaldean population is over one and a half million devotees world wide.
Mar Emmanuel III Delly is well known for his respect and cooperation with directors of other churches and faiths, mainly Muslims. Mar Emmanuel III Delly acts as a spiritual father, not only to the whole Chaldean Church, now scattered all over the world, but to all Christians in Iraq, especially in these times of great hardships.
During his 42 years as a bishop, Mar Emmanuel III Delly's contributions to the Chaldean Church include building of many churches in and outside of Iraq. This includes the establishment of the College of Babylon, as a philosophy and theology institution. Also, he spiritually supervises the Chaldean monasteries and convents. Mar Emmanuel III Delly oversees several Chaldean religious journals and publications. He is well known for his administrative abilities and love of his people.
On October 17, 2007, Pope Benedict XVI announced that he would make Mar Emmanuel III Delly a Cardinal. Delly was elevated to the College of Cardinals in the consistory at St. Peter's Basilica on November 24, 2007. Pope Benedict XVI said on this occasion that by naming Emmanuel III Delly cardinal, he was demonstrating his "spiritual closeness and [his] affection" for Iraqi Christians.
- Master's Degree in Philosophy, Pontifical Urbaniana University. Thesis: ""The Existence of God according to Abu Nasr Al-Farabi" 
- Doctor of Sacred Theology, Pontifical Lateran University.
- Doctor of Canon Law, Pontifical Lateran University.
|Consecrated by:||Mar Paul II Cheikho|
|Date of consecration:||December 7, 1962|
Raphael I Bidawid
|Patriarch of Babylon|
| Succeeded by|
- ↑ Iraqi cardinal-to-be says he is symbol of national unity http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20071123/twl-vatican-pope-iraq-3cd7efd_1.html
- ↑ Holy See Press Office (2007-10-17). "Annuncio di Concistorio per la Creazione di nuovi Cardinali" (in Italian). Press release. http://188.8.131.52/news_services/bulletin/news/20898.php?index=20898&po_date=17.10.2007&lang=en. Retrieved 2007-10-17.
- ↑ Holy See Press Office (2007-11-24). "Concistoro Ordinario Pubblico per la Creazione di Ventitré Nuovi Cardinali (continuazione)" (in Italian). Press release. http://184.108.40.206/news_services/bulletin/news/21159.php?index=21159&lang=en. Retrieved 2007-11-24.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Pope elevates new cardinals, expresses solidarity with Iraqi Christians", Associated Press (International Herald Tribune), November 23, 2007.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Carol Glatz, Pope acknowledges Iraq's beleaguered Catholics by naming cardinal. Catholic News Service, Oct. 17, 2007. The article mentions that the philosophy degree is a master's degree, but the degree given at the Urbaniana is a license. Pontifical Urbaniana University—Faculty of Philosophy—Program of Studies (accessed Nov. 13, 2007).
- ↑ Frederik Pleitgen and Saad Abedine. CNN.com. http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/11/19/iraq.christians/ Keeping Christianity Alive
- ↑ Gamel, Kim. "Chaldean Patriarch Seeks Ties to Muslims", Associated Press, October 30, 2007.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Emmanuel III Delly|