Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Egyptian Islamic Jihad (EIJ) is an Islamic terrorist organization in Egypt. The group was formed in 1979 in Cairo. EIJ's primary motive is a violent overthrow of the Government of Egypt and to establish an Islamic state in Egypt. EIJ has its network in Yemen, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Sudan and the United Kingdom. The group has links with the terrorist organization Al-Qaeda and some fractions of EIJ merged with Al-Qaeda in 2001.
EIJ was responsible for the assassination of the Egyptian President Anwar Sadat in 1981. Terrorists from EIJ were linked to two unsuccessful bombings in the Israeli and the US embassies in Manila in 1994. The group is suspected to be responsible for bombing at the embassy of Egypt in Islamabad in 1995, in which fifteen people were killed, and for a foiled terrorist attack on the US embassy in Albania in 1998. Many suspected hijackers of the September 11, 2001 attacks had links with the EIJ. Mohammed Atta, the prime suspect and the leader of the hijackers, was a member of the EIJ.
- ↑ Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTOs) United States Department of State
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Al-Jihad al-Islami James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Egyptian Islamic Jihad MIPT Terrorism Knowledge Base
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Egyptian Islamic Jihad Federation of American Scientists
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Egyptian Islamic Jihad Australian Government
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Egyptian Islamic Jihad BBC
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 In the spotlight: Al-Jihad (Egyptian Islamic Jihad) Center for Defense Information