Edmund P. Clowney (1917-2005) was a theologian, educator, and pastor. Born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, he earned a Bachelor of Arts from Wheaton College in 1939, a Bachelor of Theology from Westminster Theological Seminary in 1942, a Master of Sacred Theology from Yale Divinity School in 1944, and a Doctor of Divinity from Wheaton College in 1966.
Clowney was ordained in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church, and served as pastor for churches in Connecticut, Illinois, and New Jersey from 1942 to 1946. He joined Westminster Theological Seminary as an assistant professor of practical theology in 1952. In 1966 he became the first president of that seminary, and remained so until 1984, when he became the theologian-in-residence of Trinity Presbyterian Church (part of the Presbyterian Church in America) in Charlottesville, Virginia. In 1990, he moved to Escondido, California where he was adjunct professor at Westminster Seminary California. For two years beginning in 2001 he served as associate pastor at Christ the King Presbyterian Church in Houston, Texas after which Clowney returned to Trinity Presbyterian Church as part-time theologian-in-residence, a position he held until his death in 2005.
- Preaching and Biblical Theology (ISBN 0875521452)
- Called to the Ministry (ISBN 0875521444)
- Christian Meditation (ISBN 1573832278)
- Doctrine of the Church
- The Message of I Peter: The Way of the Cross (The Bible Speaks Series, ISBN 083081227X)
- The Unfolding Mystery: Discovering Christ in the Old Testament (ISBN 0875521746)
- Preaching Christ in All of Scripture (ISBN 158134452X)
- The Church (Contours of Christian Theology, ISBN 0830815341)
- "The Politics of the Kingdom" a biblical-theological essay in PDF by Dr. Clowney which discusses how the Church must resist the temptation to become subservient to earthly political powers and programs.
- Obituary for Dr. Edmund Clowney by Westminster Theological Seminary
- EdmundClowney.com, a tribute site