| This article needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (November 2009)
Durood or Darood Sahreef (Arabic: salawāt) (Persian: درود) (Urdu: صلوت و سلام) is an invocation which Muslims make by saying specific phrases to compliment the Islamic prophet Muhammad. The Islamic view is to say durood whenever a Muslim reads, speaks or hears the name of Muhammad. Durood, which is a kind of prayer and is mentioned in hadith as well as in Qur'an, are also recited in the form of Wazifa. Divine blessings on Muhammad is the highest and the most meritorious act in Islam.
Salaam, (also Durood o Salaam in Urdu) is commonly translated as peace or blessings or salutations. One such Salaam, written by a prominent Islamic scholar, Ahmed Raza Khan Barelvi is very popular and normally recited after Jumu'ah throughout the world. and is know as Salam-e-Raza.
As per Qur'an;
. Undoubtedly, Allah and His angels send blessings on the Prophet, the Communicator of unseen news, O you who believe! send upon him Blessings and salute him fully well in abundance
In this verse of the Qur'an, God, the Mala'ikah and the Muslims have been mentioned as sending Durood upon Muhammad. So, Durood Shareef is actually a Dua in praise of Muhammad. When God sends Durood and Salaams upon Muhammad, He is actually blessing him. When the angels and the Muslims send Durood and Salaams to Muhammad, they are actually showing God their respect for Muhammad.
Evidence of Hadith
Anas ibn Malik narrates that Muhammad said:
He who reads a single Durood upon me, Almighty Allah blesses him ten times, ten of his sins are forgiven, and he is increased ten times in stages (internally).—Anas ibn Malik
Abd Allah ibn Mas'ud also narrates that Muhammad (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) said:
On the Day of Qiyamah, the closest to me from among the people will be those who have read the most amount of Durood Shareef"—Abd Allah ibn Mas'ud
Benefits and bounties of reciting durood
Prophet Muhammed has clearly proclaimed that Durood Shareef is the panacea of all ills and that if any one comes across a calamity he should recite the maximum number of Durood Shareef and God has promised that:
if anyone recites Durood only once, He showers ten blessings on the reciter immediately.
In various books of Hadith like Sahih al-Bukhari, Sahih Muslim, Al-Tirmidhi, Abu Dawood, Al-Muwatta, Al-Sunan al-Sughra, Ibn Maja, Darmi, Ahmad Bayhaqi and Miskhaat Shareef, certain benefits of reciting Durood are mentioned. Below is a list of some mainly from Sahih al-Bukhari:
- For every Durood Shareef that you recite, ten sins are forgiven, ten good deeds are entered into your sheet of actions and ten position are upgraded.
- Allah showers ten blessings on the man who recites a Durood.
- The first man who will meet the Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) on the Day of Judgement will be that person who had recited the Durood maximum number of times in his life time.
- Those who recite Durood in maximum number will be nearest and dearest to the Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) in the next world.
- If any one is involved in a difficulty then he must recite countless number of Durood Shareefs.
- Reciting Durood Shareef eradicates poverty and hunger.
- If the Sawaab[clarification needed] of the Durood Shareef is dedicated to another person, then that person will receive the Sawaab, while the Sawaab of the reciter will not be lessened.
- Reciting excessive Durood Shareef brings purity.
- Reciting maximum number of Durood Shareef is full compensation of all sins.
- Any one who recites excessive Durood Shareef in this world will be safe and sound in the next world.
- When a prayer is made to Allah it is never accepted unless praise of Allah Ta'ala and Durood Shareef on the Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) is first of all recited.
- Those who recite Durood quite often will see Divine Light on the dark Day of Judgement.
- Three persons will be under the cool shade and the favours of Allah Ta'ala on the Doom's Day. One who kept the Holy Prophet's (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) Sunnah alive, one who removed difficulty of a fellow being and one who recited maximum number of Durood Shareef in his life time.
- When you forget anything and your memory fails to recollect it, then recite Durood, you will remember the forgotten thing.
- Reciting Durood in this world is rewarding in the next.
- The reciter of 10 Duroods in the morning and 10 in the evening will receive the help of the Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) on the Day of Judgement.
- One who recites Durood Shareef near the shrine of the Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) is heard by him there and then alone.
- Any one who recites Durood is just as one who purchased a slave and freed him.
- If a Durood is written in a book by someone, Angels of Allah shower blessings on him till the Durood remains in that book.
- The Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) said that he himself recites blessings on one who recites Durood on him.
- Any one who wants to meet his Allah with a happy face must recite countless number of Durood Shareef.
- Reward equivalent to a big mountain (Uhad) is given to one who recites one Durood.
- All people will be presented to the Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) with their habits, natures and distinct manner, so it is obligatory for a man to recite maximum number of Durood.
- Allah is Great and Almighty to forgive all sins of the reciter during the day and night when he recites 'Durood Shareef.
- If any one meets in a tragedy, he should recite Durood Shareef in countless numbers.
- Reciting Durood is like giving something in charity.
- Reciting maximum number of Durood kills all hardships.
- Recite Durood Shareef in countless number on Friday, as it is presented to me (the Holy Prophet).
- Bad deeds of 200 years (equivalent) are obliterated if a man recites 100 Durood on Friday.
- Anyone who recites Durood will overcome all their troubles.
- If the name of the Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) is mentioned and one who hears it but does not recite Durood Shareef, understand that he has forgotten the path to Paradise.
- "I pray for all those who recite Durood on me", said the Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim).
- If any one recites Durood Shareef from any place, any part of the world from any distance, it actually reaches the Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) immediately. Allah Ta'ala has appointed several Angels who are given exclusive duty to collect all Durood Shareef and present the same before the Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) immediately.
- Angels of Allah shower 70 blessings on a man who recites Durood once.
- Whenever you hear the call of prayers (Azaan) you should recite Durood.
- Wherever you are, from any quarter of the world, you must recite Durood as it reaches the Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim).
- Ablution is not complete if Durood is not recited on it.
- The Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) said to his wife that any one who hears the name of the Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) and does not recite Durood on him will not see the beautiful face of Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) on the Day of the Judgement.
- Sayyiduna Ali (radi Allahu anhu) reports that Rasoolullah (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) said, "The real miser is he in whose presence I am mentioned and then he fails to recite "Durood" on me".
- If a person recites 1,000 Durood Shareef daily, he will never die unless he himself sees his place in Heaven with his own eyes.
- The Durood Shareef that is recited by the person is written with a Golden Pen on a Silver tablet by the Angels. The Angels then present this Durood Shareef to Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) and proclaim, "O Habeeb of Allah! The son of such and such a person has presented this gift in your majestic court".
Kinds of Durood
There are various kinds of Durood mentioned in the books of hadith, and various writings, collected and complied by different Sufis and scholars of Islam, a few of them are mentioned below
One example is Durood-e-Ibrahimi (so called for having a reference to Abraham):
"O Allah, let Your Peace come upon Muhammad and the family of Muhammad, as you have brought peace to Ibrahim and his family. Truly, You are Praiseworthy and Glorious. Allah, bless Muhammad and the family of Muhammad, as you have blessed Ibrahim and his family. Truly, You are Praiseworthy and Glorious".
Dala'il al-Khayrat is a famous collection of Durood, which was written by the Moroccan Sunni Sufi and Islamic scholar Muhammad al-Jazuli and is normally recited in different Sufi orders, divided in sections for daily recitation.
Qasida al Burda
Qaṣīda al-Burda, The poem of the scarf, is a collection of Durood written by the eminent Sufi Busiri (Abū 'Abdallāh Muhammad ibn Sa'īd ul-Būsīrī) of Egypt, It is entirely in praise of Prophet Muhammad, Who cured the poet of paralysis by appearing to him in a dream and wrapping him in his mantle.
O Allah! Shower blessings on Muhammad, our Master, and his Family such blessings by means of which Thou may relieve us of all anxieties and calamities. Thou may satisfy all our needs. Thou may clean us of all evils and thanks for which Thou may grant us high position and high rank and status in Thy presence, and Thou may lead us to the utmost limit of our aspirations and capacity in whatever is best in this world as well as in the world Hereafter, as Thou has the full Power over everything
The great Scholar, Saint, Jurist and author, Imam ibn-Faikihani says that there was once a pious man called Sheikh Moosa Zareer. He embarked on a voyage by ship. Due to a heavy storm, the ship started sinking. All the passengers on board started crying and clamouring, but Sheikh Moosa Zareer went to sleep. He saw the Holy Prophet in his dream and the Prophet Muhammad directed him and the passengers to recite Durood-e-Tunajjina 1 000 times. Sheikh Moosa Zareer got up and started the recitation. As soon as he finished 300 Durood, the storm subsided and the ship was saved. The other ship on the high seas sank, but this ship reached its destination safely and soundly. This miracle was a sufficient eye-opener for the members of the ship. It was by the Grace of Allah and Durood-e-Tunajjina that all were saved.
This Durood Shareef is always a cure for all calamities in the world of worldly affairs. It was taught by Prophet Muhammad himself. To recite this Durood Shareef 70 times during days of calamity, turmoil and trouble, is a must. It works wonders.
O Allah! Shower blessings on Muhammad and his children whenever he is remembered by those who remember him, and shower blessings on Muhammad and family whenever he is not remembered by the negligent, and grant him peace constantly in abundance.
It is called Shafa`i because it was recited by Imam Muhammad ibn Idris ash-Shafi`i constantly. It is stated by Allama Sakhawi, that Abdullah bin Abdul Hakam saw Shafi'i in a dream after his death and inquired about life after death. Shafi'i told him that because of the continuous recitation of Durood-e-Shafi`i, Allah Ta'ala gave him the most exalted position of the highest grade in Heaven and forgave him.
O Allah! Every moment and in every breath, bestow complete and the best blessings and perfect peace which is endless on Muhammad, our master, and on his descendants and his Companions, and may, for His Sake, all our troubles and tortures be over, calamities ended, and all our needs fulfilled, all our cherished desires attained, and good ends vouch-saved, and clouds are laden with water through the glorious countenance of Prophet. The perfect blessings and peace on the Prophet's House, his Family and his Companions every instance in number equal to the count of all things in Thy Knowledge.
It is stated that if the Durood-e-Nahariya is recited daily, it will give such strength and power to the reciter that no one on earth will be able to subdue him. They will be a grand success in all the affairs of the world. If this Durood Shareef is recited during days of calamities, Allah Ta'ala will help the reciter from quarters unknown to humans. The reciter will be able to cross every barrier of handicap safely and soundly. In every worldly affair, in every trial and tribulation, success will be his net income.
O Allah! May Thy grace, peace and blessings rest on Muhammad, our Master, who opens that which is closed, and closes that which is preceded, who helps truth with truth, and who guided mankind to Thy straight path. May blessings of Allah be on him and his Family and Companions as according to his exalted position befitting his merit and his high rank.
Durood from distinguished persons
Royafai, a close companion of Muhammed has revealed that Muhammad said: "There is a Durood which if anyone recites, then I shall definitely come to his help on the final Day of the Judgement".
O Allah! Shower Thy blessing on Muhammad and make him enter the highest place which is the greatest before You on the Day of Resurrection.
After hearing the prayer call Azaan, if anyone recites the following Durood then he will certainly receiveMuhammed's mercy and assistance on the Day of Judgement.
O Allah! For the sake of this call of prayer and for the sake of this prayer, give Thy assistance to Muhammad, our master, and make him seated on the most exalted place which You had promised, i.e. the Maqaam-e-Mahmood.
Durood-o-Salaam(Urdu) by Tanwir Phool
Durood uss zaat par jo hai sabab eejaad-e-aalam kaa
Salaam uss zaat par,rutbaa baRhaayaa jis ney Aadam kaa
Durood uss zaat par jis kaa laqab hai Rahmat-e-Aalam
Salaam uss zaat par zakhmi diloN kaa jo ke hai marham
Durood uss zaat par Taaif maiN jis ney khaaye thay patthar
Salaam uss par jo patthar ke ewaz laayaa duaa lab par
Durood uss par jo mahshar maiN Shafi-ul-muznibeeN ho gaa
Salaam uss par sadaa ghamkhwaar hai jo apni ummat kaa
Durood uss par,gunahgaaroN ki khaatir shab maiN jo royaa
Salaam uss par jo ummat ke liye bakhshish kaa hai joyaa
Durood uss zaat par jo bilyaqeeN Shaah-e-RasoolaaN hai
Salaam uss par ke jis kaa naam taskeen-e-dil-o-jaaN hai
Durood uss par MUHAMMAD jis ko khaas-o-aam kahtey haiN
Salaam uss par ke jis ke deen ko Islaam kahtey haiN
Durood uss par paRhaataa thaa sabaq jo aadamiyat kaa
Salaam uss par sajaa hai jis ke sar par Taaj Rahmat kaa
Durood uss par,KHUDAA ke baad jo Aalaa hai,Aulaa hai
Salaam uss par jo khaati Phool kaa Aaqaa hai,Maulaa hai
(Anwaar-e-Hira(page 192) by Tanwir Phool)
- ↑ Mishkat al-Masabih
- ↑ Al-Tirmidhi
- ↑ Sahih al-Bukhari, Sahih Muslim, Al-Tirmidhi, Abu Dawood, Al-Muwatta, Al-Sunan al-Sughra, Ibn Maja, Darmi, Ahmad Bayhaqi and Miskhaat Shareef
- ↑ Durood-e-Ibrahimi
- ↑ The Story of Dala'il al-Khayrat
- ↑ The poem of the scarf by Shaikh Faizullah Bhai B. A. - University of Bombay - Published by Taj Company Ltd.
- ↑ Imam ibn-Faikihan
- ↑ Durood-e-Shafi`i
- ↑ Al-Sakhawi and Imam Muzni
- ↑ Durood-e-Nahariya
- ↑ Hazrat Syed Ahmed Hillam
- ↑ Sahih Bukhari
- Collection of Durood Shareef
- Dalail Al Khairat
- The Excellence of Reciting the Durood Sharifsv:Durood