Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The 'Dicocese of Chicago is part of the Episcopal Church in the United States of America, consisting roughly of the northern third of the state of Illinois. It was founded as the Diocese of Illinois by Bishop Philander Chase. In 1877, the southern portion of Illinois became the Diocese of Springfield, and the west central portion of Illinois became the Diocese of Quincy. The original Diocese of Illinois was then renamed the Diocese of Chicago.
In the Anglican Cycle of Prayer prayers are offered for Chicago on May 25.
Bishops of Chicago
- Philander Chase 1835–1852
- Henry Whitehouse 1852-1874
- William McLaren 1875-1905
- Charles Palmerston Anderson 1905-1930
- Sheldon Griswold Feb. 1930-Nov. 1930
- George Stewart 1930-1940
- Wallace Conkling 1941-1953
- Gerald Burrill 1954-1971
- James Montgomery 1971-1987
- Frank Griswold 1987-1998
- Willliam Persell 1999-present