Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Democide is a term created by political scientist R. J. Rummel in order to create a broader concept than the legal definition of genocide. Genocide, for example, does not take into account government murder for political or ideological reasons. It is defined as large-scale murder by a government, similar to a genocide or ethnic cleansing. The twentieth century has seen massive democides motived by various ideologies such as abortion rights, some atheistic, some religious, some Communist, some Fascist, including the Holocaust.
- The Great Purge of the Soviet Union was the largest purge in a series of purges lasting eighty years (1917-1987), which left over 60 million people dead.
- The Holocaust by Nazi Germany was a democide.
- Operation Keelhaul. Estimated two million Soviet POW's repatriated to the Soviet Union exterminated beginning 1945.
- The Peoples Republic of China under the Chinese Communist Party is estimated at 78 million. 
- In Iraq Saddam Hussein, the former dictator, was hanged 12/29/06 for his crimes against humanity, his killing of hundreds of thousands of his fellow countrymen. 
- In Iran, the Islamic regime of Ayatollah Ruholla Khomeni (1970-1989) is believed to have killed some 30,000 political prisoners in 1988.
- The Khmer Rouge-instigated murder in Democratic Kampuchea (now Cambodia) caused the death of 1/3 of the Cambodian population.
- In Chile, Augusto Pinochet's regime (1973-1990) murdered several thousand Chileans
- In Guatemala, Efrian Rios Montt's regime (1982-1983)is estimated to have murdered over 10,000 Guatelmalans.
- ↑ http://www.gse.harvard.edu/~t656_web/peace/Articles_Spring_2004/Plourde_Shawn_Democide.htm
- ↑ Repatriation — The Dark Side of World War II, Part 3, by Jacob G. Hornberger, April 1995. Retrieved from the Future of Freedom Foundation, August 21, 2007.
- ↑ R.J. Rummel, Reevaluating China's Democide to be 73,000,000, November 20, 2005.
- ↑ http://www.c-span.org/resources/pdf/hrdossier.pdf
- Death by Government,By R.J. Rummel, New Brunswick, N.J.: Transaction Publishers, 1994.
- Islamic "Democide" in Iran, Amil Imani, New Media Journal, May 24, 2007.
- U.S. - Russia Joint Commission on POW/MIAs, Joint Commission Support Directorate (JCSD) The Gulag Study, February 11, 2005; "The sheer volume of this information lends credence to the fact that U.S. servicemen were detained in the Soviet prison camp system following World War II, and during the Korean, Vietnam, and Cold Wars." Retrieved from U.S. Department of Defense, Defense Prisoner of War/Missing Personal Office (DPMO) http://www.dtic.mil/dpmo/sitemap.htm Spetmeber 15, 2007.
|This page uses content from Conservapedia. The original article was at Democide. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. Conservapedia grants a non-exclusive license for you to use any of its content (other than images) on this site, with or without attribution. Read more about Conservapedia copyrights.|