<tr class="mergedrow"> <td colspan="2" align="center">
[[image:Template:Location map Israel north haifa|250px|Deir Hanna is located in Template:Location map Israel north haifa]]
<div style="position: absolute; z-index: 2; top: Expression error: Unrecognised punctuation character "[".%; left: Expression error: Unrecognised punctuation character "[".%; height: 0; width: 0; margin: 0; padding: 0;">
Red pog.svg
Deir Hanna

</td> </tr>

Deir Hanna
The remains of Dhaher al-Omar's castle in Deir Hanna
District North
Government Local council (from 1975)
Hebrew דֵיר חַנָּא
Arabic دير حنا
Name meaning "John's Monastery"
Also spelled Deir Hana (officially)

Dayr Hanna (unofficially)

Population 8,500 (2005)
Area 7500 dunams (7.5 km2; 2.9 sq mi)
Head of municipality Samir Hussein
Coordinates 32°51′44.68″N 35°22′16.21″E / 32.8624111°N 35.3711694°E / 32.8624111; 35.3711694Coordinates: 32°51′44.68″N 35°22′16.21″E / 32.8624111°N 35.3711694°E / 32.8624111; 35.3711694

Deir Hanna (Arabic: دير حنا‎, Hebrew: דֵיר חַנָּא‎) is a local council in the North District of Israel, located on the hills of the Lower Galilee, 23 kilometres (14 mi) southeast of Acre. At the end of 2005, the town had a population of 8,500 approximately 80% of them being Muslims and the remaining 20% being Christian.[1]


In the 2nd to 4th centuries, the Jewish village of Kfar Yohanna (כפר יוחנה) was known in as the seat of the Cohens of Yakhin, the 21st of the 24 Priestly Courses or Priestly Watches (משמרות הכהונה).

The town began as a monastery dedicated to John the Baptist which became a castle in the Dhaher al-Omar era.[2] Parts of the castle are still standing, as are the walls, the old village church and a mosque, and it is considered a tourist attraction.[3]

The town has been through a thorough modernization process in the last 10 years, and now has a full education system, health care facilities and sports playgrounds. Deir Hanna forms the Land Day triangle with Sakhnin and Arraba.

Persons associated with Deir Hanna

See also


ar:دير حنا

cs:Dejr Channa

Ad blocker interference detected!

Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.