Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Datsan (Mongolian: Дацан, Russian: Дацан) is the term used for Buddhist university monasteries in the Tibetan tradition of Gelukpa located throughout Mongolia, Tibet and Siberia. As a rule, in a datsan there are two departments—philosophical and medical. Sometimes to them is added the department of the tantric practices where the monks study only after finishing education in the philosophical department. In pre-20th century Russia, datsans traditionally existed only in Buryatia and Transbaikalia.
List of datsans in Mongolia
List of datsans in Russia
Datsans were officially acknowledged in the Imperial Russia in 1734. By statute of 1853 were recognized 34 datsans: two in the Irkutsk governorate and others in Zabaykalsky Governorate. The first datsan in Europe was Gunzechoyney datsan. It was built in St. Petersburg between 1903 and 1913 and started to operate on February 21, 1913.
Between 1927 and 1938 all 47 datsans, existed in Buryatia and Transbaikalia were closed or destroyed. In 1945 Ivolginsky datsan was opened, and several years later Aginsky datsan resumed operations. The following ten datsans were not opened until 1991.
- Khambyn Khure datsan (Улан-Удэнский Дацан Хамбын Хурэ) in Ulan-Ude
- Aginsky datsan (Агинский Дацан) in Aginskoye
- Kurumkansky datsan (Курумканский Дацан) in Kurumkan
- Sartuul Gegetuy datsan (Сартуул Гэгэтуйский Дацан) in Gegetuy
- Egituysky datsan (Эгитуйский Дацан) in Egituy
- Sanaginsky datsan (Санагинский Дацан) in Sanaga
- Ivolginsky datsan (Иволгинский Дацан) in Verkhnyaya Ivolga
- Kizhinginsky datsan (Кижингинский Дацан) in Kizhinga
- Baldan Breybun datsan (Дацан Балдан Брэйбун) in Murochi
- Tugnuysky datsan (Тугнуйский дацан) in Mukhorshibir
- Okinsky datsan (Окинский дацан) in Orlik
- Tamchinsky datsan (Тамчинский дацан) in Gusinoozyorsk
- Kyrensky datsan (Кыренский дацан) in Kyren
- Khoymorsky datsan (Хойморский дацан) in Arshan
- Ugdansky datsan (Угданский дацан)
- Ust-Ordynsky datsan (Усть-Ордынский (Абатанатский) дацан) in Ust-Ordynsky
- Aninsky datsan (Анинский дацан) in Ana
- Chesansky datsan (Чесанский дацан) in Chesan
- Tsugolsky datsan (Цугольский дацан) in Tsugol
- Gunzechoyney datsan (Дацан Гунзэчойнэй) in Saint Petersburg
- (Russian) List of datsans in Buryatia, Chita and Irkutsk Oblasts
- (Russian) Official site of the Gunzechoyney datsan
- (Russian) Datsanset:Datsanja:ダツァンru:Дацан