Christmas is a relatively rare surname, which is sometimes said to have been a byname given to a person born at Christmas. However, others dispute this interpretation.  The byname was spelled "Cristemass" in 1185 and 1191, and "Cristesmesse" in 1308. The name is principally found in Essex and Sussex counties in England.
Notable persons with the surname Christmas
- Cecil Christmas (1886-1916), English footballer
- Dionte Christmas (1986-), American NBA player
- Eric Christmas (1916-2000), British actor
- Ernst William Christmas (1863-1918), Australian painter
- Johnny Christmas (1982-), lacrosse player for Philadelphia Wings
- Stephen Christmas (1947-1993), for whom the blood clotting protein Factor IX was named
Fictional characters with the name Christmas
- Joe Christmas, a character in William Faulkner's novel Light in August
- Lloyd Christmas, played by Jim Carrey in the movie Dumb and Dumber
- ↑ "DNA search for 'father' Christmas". BBC News. 2005-11-23. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4460832.stm. Retrieved 2007-12-25.
- ↑ Reaney, P. H., & R. M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames (London: Routledge, 1991; Oxford University Press, 1995), s.n. Christmas.
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original article was at Christmas (surname). The list of authors can be seen in the page history.|