Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Caribbean Carnival is the term used for a number of events that take place in many of the Caribbean islands annually.
The Caribbean's Carnivals all have several common themes based on folklore, culture, and religion.
Carnival tradition is based on a number of disciplines including: "Playing Mas"/Masquerade; Calypso Music and crowning a Calypso King or Monarch; Panorama (Steel Band Competition); Jouvert morning; and a number of other traditions.
International Caribbean Carnivals
- "Caribe-Expo" - In the city of Ottawa in Ontario, Canada.
- "Carifête" - In the city of Montreal in Quebec, Canada, typically 2–3 weeks before Toronto's Caribana.
- "Caribana" - In Toronto, Ontario, it draws close to a million visitors to the city. Caribana is known as the best Caribbean carnival outside of Trinidad and Tobago.
- "Carnival" - In the city of Hamilton, 1 week after Toronto's Caribana.
- "Carifest" - In the city of Calgary in Alberta, Canada.
- "Cariwest" - Held annually the second week of August in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Cariwest boasts an amazing display of masqueraders in the main parade, and is a beautiful festival full of food and entertainment in the heart of downtown.
- Berlin, Karneval der Kulturen (Carnival of Cultures), every year in May (Whitsuntide weekend)
- Birmingham, "Birmingham International Carnival"
- Isle of Wight
- Leicester, "Leicester Caribbean Carnival"
- London, "Notting Hill Carnival" - in Notting Hill located in Northwest London,
- Leeds, "Leeds West Indian Carnival"
- Bristol "St Pauls Carnival"
- Atlanta Carnival Atlanta, GA - Last weekend in May, usually falls on Memorial Day weekend
- Baltimore, MD - Baltimore Caribbean-American Festival held every July in Druid Hill Park neighborhood in Baltimore.
- Boston, MA - Last Saturday in August, Dorchester, MA
- Cambridge, MA - Cambridge Carnival International, Last Sunday in August - Held in Kendall Square
- Chicago, IL - Chicago CARIFETE, Third Saturday in August, on the Midway Plaisance in the confines of the University of Chicago Campus.
- Austin, TX - Carnaval Brasileiro, February the 3rd
- Broward Caribbean Carnival Fort Lauderdale, FL - The second weekend in October, Columbus Day weekend.
- Houston, TX - Usually the weekend around Fourth of July.
- Long Island, NY - Weekend after Labor Day Carnival - Held in Hempstead
- Miami Carnival Miami, FL - The second weekend in October, Columbus Day weekend.
- Minneapolis, MN - CARIFEST - Usually held the third weekend of July along West River Road right next to the Mississippi River.
- New Orleans, LA - In November, the Bayou Bacchanal is held on the first Saturday in downtown and Armstrong Park.
- New York, NY - Labor Day Carnival - Held in Brooklyn, along Eastern Parkway, with over 2.3 million visitors annually
- Orlando, FL - This is usually held the last weekend in May, which is typically Memorial Day weekend. Most recently been held at the Citrus Bowl.
- Seattle, WA - Pioneer Square, annual Fat Tuesday celebration.
- Tacoma, WA - PLU campus Carnival, near Fat Tuesday
- Norfolk,VA - Virginia CaribFest, Virginia Caribfest (2nd weekend in July)
- Washington D.C. - DC Caribbean Festival, usually between June 16–24 every year. Run through Georgia Ave., Missouri Ave. all the way to Barry Place. dccaribbeancarnival.com
- Charleston Carifest, Charleston, SC. Third weekend in June (a week before DC Caribbean Festival).
- Caribbean Carnivals database
- Carnival Network Magazine
- Information about Moko Jumbies and a USA band
- Miami Carnival's Official Site
- Broward County In South Florida's Carnival Site
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original article was at Caribbean Carnival. The list of authors can be seen in the page history.|