Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
| Part of the series on |
|Coat of Arms|
|The coat of arms of a cardinal are indicated by a red galero (wide-brimmed hat) with 15 tassels on each side (the motto and escutcheon are proper to the individual cardinal).|
|College and orders of cardinalate|
|Title and reference style|
|Special types of cardinals|
|Cardinals in pectore or secret cardinals|
|Vesture and privileges|
|Cardinals in popular culture|
Cardinals in popular culture
- Among others, Vincent Price, Charlton Heston, and Tim Curry have played Cardinal Richelieu in adaptations of The Three Musketeers.
- Orson Welles played Cardinal Thomas Wolsey in the 1966 screen adaptation of A Man for All Seasons, while Anthony Quayle played him in the 1969 film of Anne of the Thousand Days, and Sam Neill played him in the first season of the Showtime series The Tudors (2007), until the character's death.
- Anthony Quinn played the fictional Cardinal Kiril Lakota, who becomes Pope, in The Shoes of the Fisherman (1968). Several other fictional Cardinals were portrayed in that film.
- George Carlin played the fictional Cardinal Ignatius Glick in Dogma (1999).
- Jonathan Pryce played the fictional Cardinal Daniel Houseman in Stigmata (1995) and the real Cardinal de Rohan in The Affair of the Necklace (2001).
- John Huston played the fictional Cardinal Glennon in The Cardinal (1963). That character is not to be confused with the real-life John Cardinal Glennon, who was elevated to that rank by Pope Pius XII in 1946 but then died in Ireland before he could make it back to the United States.
- In the comic book Warrior Nun Areala, Cardinals X, Stark, and Shoc serve as military leaders for the fictional Catholic Corps.
- Richard Chamberlain played the fictional Cardinal Ralph de Bricassart in The Thorn Birds (1983).