Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
British Muslims for Secular Democracy is a charity dedicated to supporting secularism in the United Kingdom, founded by Yasmin Alibhai-Brown. The groups believe that Muslims in the UK views are not fully covered and that their image is distorted. The organisation says it aims to:
- Challenge those who have a vested interest in promoting the 'clash of civilizations' narrative. These include some Muslim leaders and prominent white commentators they say.
- Highlight the rights of Muslims who are marginalised because of their inability to cope with or succeed within the system.
- Encourage British Muslim men and women to recognise the contributions they have made to Britain
- Examine the role of the political parties that pander to "community leaders"
- Enable Muslims to become more aware of their autonomous rights and question Muslim leaders who set themselves up as 'representatives' or ‘experts’.
- Work with other global progressive Muslims opposing Saudi influenced Salafism and its offshoots.
- Challenge the ill-informed and politicised nature of the state's intervention with the organisation of religious life in this country and the influence faith based groups now have on public policies.
- Object to government policies that curtail civil liberties using the prevailing sense of fear of terrorism
- Work with young Muslims and try to win over their hearts and minds, so they espouse the quiet and compassionate Islam practised by Muslims through generations
1. Yasmin Alibhai-Brown (Chair)
2. Dr Shaaz Mahboob  (Vice Chair)
3. Nasreen Rehman (Vice Chair)
4. Reem Maghribi
5. Imran Ahmed
6. Dr Ghayasuddin Siddiqui
7. Dr Tar Hargey
8. Andy Gregg
- British Muslims for Secular Democracy
- Representing ourselves better
- Scratching secularism's surface
- What I have in common with Jemima
- Muslims launch new organisation to challenge perceptions
- Yasmin Alibhai-Brown: What he wishes on us is an abomination
- CNS News
|This Islam-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|