Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Bodhipakkhiya-dhammā: The 37 'things pertaining (or steps) to enlightenment', or 'requisites of enlightenment' comprise the entire doctrines of the Buddha. They are:
- The 4 foundations of awareness or mindfulness satipatthāna,
- The 4 right efforts see: padhāna,
- The 4 roads to power iddhi-pāda,
- The 5 spiritual abilities indriya, see: bala,
- The 5 spiritual powers bala,
- The 7 factors of enlightenment bojjhanga,
- The Noble 8-fold path see: magga.
In M. 77 all the 37 bodhipakkhiya-dhammā are enumerated and explained though not called by that name. A detailed explanation of them is given in Vis.M XXII. In S.XLVII, 51, 67, only the five spiritual abilities indriya are called bodhipakkhiya-dhammā and in the Jhāna Vibhanga, only the 7 factors of enlightenment bojjhanga.
Maha Thera Nyanatiloka. Manual of Buddhist Terms and Doctrines, Buddhist Publication Society, first edition 1952.