Beth Am is a Conservative synagogue in Baltimore, Maryland. The congregation is located in Baltimore's Reservoir Hill community, and is considered to be one of the city's historic synagogues. It is one of two non-Orthodox synagogues in Baltimore's inner city.
The building currently known as "Beth Am" was first founded as Chizuk Amuno Congregation, which has since moved to a new suburban location in Pikesville, Maryland. Chizuk Amuno first occupied the building in 1922 and moved to Pikesville in 1958.
Following the move of Chizuk Amuno, services continued in the building, led by Cantor Abba Weisgall. Then, in 1974, the current Beth Am congregation was founded as Dr. Louis Kaplan's shul. Kaplan's wife suggested the name, which translates to "House of the People."
Kaplan served informally as the congregation's spiritual leader until 1981, when the congregation hired its first full-time rabbi.
The congregation had no full-time rabbi in the years 2000-2002, when they were served part-time by Rabbi Sheila Russian.
The current Rabbi is Jon Konheim, who has been with the congregation since 2002.
- ↑ http://www.forward.com/articles/12697/
- ↑ http://books.google.com/books?id=3UlavZkteU4C&pg=PA181&vq=%22beth+am%22&dq=%22beth+am%22baltimore&as_brr=3&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html&source=gbs_search_r&cad=1
- ↑ http://books.google.com/books?id=weL9M46TcU8C&pg=PA161&dq=%22beth+am%22baltimore&as_brr=3&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html
- ↑ http://books.google.com/books?id=weL9M46TcU8C&pg=PA162&lpg=PA161&dq=%22beth+am%22baltimore&as_brr=3&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html
- ↑ http://books.google.com/books?id=3UlavZkteU4C&pg=PA51&lpg=PA51&vq=%22beth+am%22&dq=%22beth+am%22baltimore&as_brr=3&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html
- ↑ http://126.96.36.199/search?q=cache:l3R09iMuKlwJ:bethambaltimore.org/about_beth_am/betham-bulletin-0803.pdf+%22sheila+russian%22%2B%22beth+am%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&ie=UTF-8
- ↑ http://www.jewishtimes.com/index.php/jewishtimes/news/jt/cover_story/conservative_judaism_thrives_in_baltimore_but_troubled_nationwide/14118
|This article about a synagogue or other Jewish place of worship is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|