Benji Schwimmer was the August 16, 2006, winner of So You Think You Can Dance, Season 2, broadcast on Fox network. He was born in Newport Beach, California, on January 18, 1984. A resident of Redlands, California, Schwimmer had been dancing since he was a child, but had suspended his dance training and performance to serve a full-time, two-year mission to Mexico for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or Mormon Church. Schwimmer was born into a dancing family. His father is well-known swing dancer Buddy Schwimmer, his sister, Lacy, was one of four finalists for season 3, and his frequent dance partner is his cousin, Heidi Groskreutz. His dance specialty is west coast swing. He and his cousin Heidi are U.S. Open Showcase Swing champions in West Coast Swing style.
Schwimmer has created his own charity organization, called D.E.M.A.N.D.-- Dancers Everywhere Making a Needed Difference, for orphans in southern Mexico. He hopes to pursue a professional dance career, and began by performing in Las Vegas with Celine Dion's show. He has since been extremely busy in swing dancing, performing, and charity work.
- An introduction to basic Mormon beliefs and practices
- Wikipedia Article
- So You Think You Can Dance Bio
- VIDEO--Benji and Heidi, 2001 US Open Swing Dance Championship
- VIDEO--Benji and Heidi--Showcase Division 2005 US Open Swing Dance Championships
- VIDEO--Benji dancing for Christina Aguilera's Candyman music video
- Meridian Magazine Article on Benji Schwimmer