Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Beheading of St. John the Forerunner is the commemoration of the martyrdom of John the Forerunner. It is a strict fast day because of the grief of Christians at the violent death of the saint. It is commemorated by the Church on August 29.
Although the Forerunner was beheaded in the Spring, around the time of the Passover, this feast was fixed for August, when a church was dedicated in its honor.
- The memory of the righteous is celebrated with hymns of praise,
- But the Lord¹s testimony is sufficient for you, O Forerunner.
- You were shown in truth to be the most honorable of the prophets,
- For you were deemed worthy to baptize in the streams of the Jordan Him whom they foretold.
- Therefore, having suffered for the truth with joy,
- You proclaimed to those in hell God who appeared in the flesh,
- Who takes away the sin of the world, and grants us great mercy.
Kontakion (Tone 5)
- The glorious beheading of the Forerunner,
- Became an act of divine dispensation,
- For he preached to those in hell the coming of the Savior.
- Let Herodias lament, for she entreated lawless murder,
- Loving not the law of God, nor eternal life,
- But that which is false and temporal.
- The Beheading of the Holy Glorious Prophet, Forerunner, and Baptist John - OCA website.
- Beheading of the Venerable Head of the Glorious Prophet, Forerunner and Baptist John - GOARCH website.
|This page uses content from the English OrthodoxWiki. The original article was at Beheading of St. John the Forerunner. The list of authors can be seen in the page history.The text of OrthodoxWiki is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|