Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Balamand Declaration is a declaration made by the Joint International Commission for the Theological Dialogue between the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church during its VIIth plenary session, which took place at Balamand School of Theology, Balamand, Lebanon 17-24 June 1993. It is officially called Uniatism, method of union of the past, and the present search for full communion.
The declaration deals with the concept of proselytism by the Roman Catholic Church on territories of the Orthodox Churches in the East. It is a break with traditional Roman Catholic teachings and practising on this subject.
The Balamand declaration was not the last of its kind, as the 2007 Ravenna declaration discussed the topic of primacy and had the majority of Eastern bishops agree that the Pope was indeed the lead bishop or protos.
The following delegates participated:
From the Eastern Orthodox Churches
The following Eastern Orthodox Churches participated:
- Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople:
- Archbishop Stylianos of Australia Orthodox, Co-President of the Joint International Commission
- Patriarchate of Alexandria:
- Metropolitan Dionysios of Nubia
- Professor Constantine Patelos
- Patriarchate of Antioch
- Metropolitan George of Byblos and Botrys
- Father Archimandrite Youhanna (Yazigi)
- Patriarchate of Moscow:
- Father Hegumen Nestor (Zhilyaev)
- Patriarchate of All Romania:
- Metropolitan Antonie of Transylvania
- Father Archpriest Dumitru Radu
- Patriarchate of Nova Justiniana and All Cyprus:
- Metropolitan Chrysanthos of Morphou
- Professor Macarius Papachristophorou
- Patriarchate of Warsaw:
- Father Hieromonk Barsanuphius (Doroszkiewicz)
- Patriarchate of All Albania:
- Professor Theodoros Papapavli
- Finnish Orthodox Church under the Patriarchate of Constantinople:
- Bishop Ambrosius of Joensocu
- Executive Secretary:
- Metropolitan Spyridon of Italy
The Patriarchate of Jerusalem, the Patriarchate of Peć, the Patriarchate of Bulgaria, Patriarchate of All Georgia, the Patriarchate of Athens and Patriarchate of Czech and Slovak lands were not represented.
From the Roman Catholic Church
Discussion of the Balamand Statement
- The Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches: Taking Steps to Overcome Division Controversy Over the Balamand Report - by the Orthodox Members of the Orthodox/Roman Catholic Consultation in the United States
- OCA - Q & A - Validity of Roman Catholic Orders