|Born||13 June 1805, Thuret, France|
|Died||13 August 1862, Saugues, France|
|Venerated in||Roman Catholic Church|
|Beatified||4 April 1948 by Pope Pius XII|
|Canonized||29 October 1967 by Pope Paul VI|
Saint (Brother) Bénilde Romançon, FSC (1805-1862) was a Christian Brother who was born as Pierre Romançon on June 13, 1805 in the town of Thuret in France to a farming family. In 1818 Pierre, aged 13, first saw the Christian Brothers in a market at Clermont-Ferrand. He instantly felt a strong desire to become a Brother. Despite the objections of his father, he was enrolled at the Brothers' school at Riom. When he applied to the Novitiate, his superiors were reluctant to take him in, because he was too short of stature.
He was admitted to the Novitiate at Clermont on February 10, 1820 at the age of 14. He was given the habit on June 22, 1820, and was given the name Brother Bénilde. He taught in Aurillac, Moulins, Limoges, Clermont and Billom, and founded a school in Saugues in France where he stayed through the rest of his life. Brother Bénilde was known for his sanctity, effective teaching, generosity to students, Brothers, and townspeople, and for the excellent reputation of his school. He died on August 13, 1862 at Saugues of natural causes. He was beatified on April 4, 1948 by Pope Pius XII who mentioned that his sanctification was attained by enduring "the terrible daily grind" and by "doing common things in an uncommon way." He was canonized by Pope Paul VI on October 29, 1967.
Educational institutions named after Saint Benilde
- Benilde-St. Margaret's School - St Louis Park, Minnesota, USA
- De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde - Manila, Philippines
- San Benildo Integrated School - De La Salle - Antipolo, Philippines
- Saint Benilde School - Metairie, Louisiana, USA
- St. Benilde Center for Global Competence - Olongapo City,Philippines
- Saint Benilde at the De La Salle Christian Brothers Website
- Saint Benildus at the Patron Saints Index
|This article about a French saint is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|