Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Austrian Holocaust Memorial Service|
|Founder and Chairman||Andreas Maislinger|
|Office||Innsbruck, Tirol, Austria|
The Austrian Holocaust Memorial Service (AHMS) is an alternative to Austria's compulsory national military service / alternative service. Its participants serve at major Holocaust memorial institutions in 23 countries.
The AHMS was founded by Andreas Maislinger, a political scientist from Innsbruck ( Tirol, Austria) who adopted the idea from the German Action Reconciliation Service for Peace (Aktion Suehnezeichen/Friedensdienste). Maislinger himself had worked as a volunteer at the Auschwitz-Birkenau museum, where the idea of the program was born.
In 1991 the required legislation was enacted by the Austrian Government and Andreas Maislinger began organizing what became known as the Austrian Holocaust Memorial Service, an independent, though largely government-funded foundation. The intent of the AHMS is to recognize Austria's part of the collective responsibility for the Holocaust and the responsibility of each one of us to ensure that it "never again" happens (quote from a speech by then Austrian chancellor Franz Vranitzky, Jerusalem, June 1993).
The Austrian Holocaust Memorial Service is a unique international network that provides assistance to Holocaust-related archives and museums. Since 1992 there have been sent about 500 AHMS interns, mostly in their 20s, either working to study and preserve Holocaust history in lieu of military service back home.
- Prague - Jewish Community of Prague
- Amsterdam - United
- Oslo - Jewish Community
- Moscow - Russian Research and Education Centre "Holocaust"
- Istanbul - Jewish Museum Istanbul
- Kiew - Jewish Foundation of Ukraine
- Detroit - Holocaust Memorial Center
- Houston - Holocaust Museum Houston
- Los Angeles - Simon Wiesenthal Center
- Los Angeles - Los Angeles Museum of the Holocaust
- Los Angeles - USC Shoah Foundation Institute for Visual History and Education
- New Orleans- National World War II Museum (planned)
- New York - Museum of Jewish Heritage
- New York - Anti Defamation League
- New York - American Jewish Committee
- Reno - Center for Holocaust, Genocide & Peace Studies
- Richmond - Virginia Holocaust Museum
- San Francisco - Holocaust Center of Northern California
- St. Petersburg - The Florida Holocaust Museum
- Austrian Holocaust Memorial Servants
- Voices on Antisemitism Interview with Harald Edinger from the US Holocaust Memorial Museumbg:Австрийска поменателна службаeo:Aŭstria Memorservohr:Austrijska služba koja njeguje sjećanje na Holokausthu:Osztrák Gedenkdienstja:オーストリアの追悼奉仕pt:Serviço Austríaco em Memória do Holocausto
ro:Serviciul Memorial Austriac ru:Австрийская мемориальная служба sq:Shërbimi austriak përkujtimor i Holokaustit fi:Itävaltalainen Joukkotuhon Muistotyö sv:Österrikisk minnestjänst sl:Avstrijska spominska služba zh:奧地利猶太人大屠殺纪念服务