The ninth day of August.
- 1483. Opening of the Sistine Chapel
- 1993. Pope John Paul II apologizes for Catholic involvement with the African slave trade.
- 2001. In Jerusalem, 15 people die and 130 are wounded in the Sbarro restaurant suicide bombing.
- 2005. The Kansas Board of Education drafted new "science standards that require critical analysis of evolution – including scientific evidence refuting the theory." This may allow the teaching of intelligent design in Kansas schools.
- 1726. Francesco Cetti, Italian Jesuit scientist (d. 1778)
- 1845. André Bessette, Canadian member of the Congregation of Holy Cross (Roman Catholic), (d. 1937)
- 1921. Ernest Angley, televangelist
- 117. Trajan, Roman Emperor (b. 53)
- 378. Valens, Roman Emperor (killed in battle) (b. 328)
- 1048. Pope Damasus II dies in Rome, after reigning for only tenty-three days.
- 1534. Cardinal Cajetan, Italian theologian (b. 1470)
- Saint Auctor, bishop of Metz
- Saint Domitian,bishop of Châlons-sur-Marne), confessor [Châlons-sur-Marne]
- Saint Fedlimin/Felimy, bishop of Kilmore
- Saint Firmus and Saint Rusticus
- Saint Herneus, abbot, confessor [Le Mans]
- Saint Jean Vianney
- Saint Lawrence (Vigil) [common]
- Saint Maurilius
- Saint Nathy (David), bishop of Achonry
- Saint Romanus, martyr [common] (Romanus Ostiarius, died 258)
- Saint Secundianus and companions, martyrs [Meaux]
- Blessed Ceferino Jimenez Malla
- St. Edith Stein, died 1942
|This page uses content from Wikia's Christian Knowledge Base Wiki. The original article was at August 9. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with the Religion-wiki, the text of the Christian Knowledge Base Wiki is available under the CC-BY-SA.|