Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The tenth day of August.
- 612 BCE Sinsharishkun, King of Assyria, dies in Battle with Babylonia. Destruction of Nineveh by Babylonian forces, as predicted by the prophet Nahum c. 700 BCE.
- 955. Battle of Lechfeld: Otto I Holy Roman Emperor defeats the pagan Magyars, ending fifty years of Magyar invasion of the West. The Magyars would later become the nation of Hungary.
- 991. Battle of Maldon: English, led by Bryhtnoth, confront a band of inland-raiding Vikings near Maldon in Essex. The English are defeated and the story is immortalised in a well-known poem, The Battle of Maldon. The English were Christians; the Vikings still worshiped the Norse gods.
- 1397. Albert II of Germany, Holy Roman Emperor (d. 1439)
- 1489. Jacob Sturm von Sturmeck, German statesman and reformer (d. 1553). Von Sturmeck was an advocate of union among Protestants, and attempted to bridge the gap between the Reformed Church and Lutheranism.
- 1645. Eusebio Kino, Italian Catholic missionary (d. 1711)
- 1823. Hugh Stowell Brown, Manx Baptist preacher (d. 1886)
- 612 BCE. Sinsharishkun, Assyrian king, died in battle
- 258. Saint Lawrence of Rome, martyr
- 1637. Johann Gerhard, German Lutheran leader (b. 1582)
- 1655. Alfonso de la Cueva, marqués de Bedmar, Spanish cardinal and diplomat (b. 1572)
- 1723. Guillaume Dubois French cardinal and statesman (b. 1656)
- Saint Blane, bishop (of Ceann-Garadh) Scotland
- Saint Deusdedit
- Saint Lawrence of Rome, deacon, martyr 258, patron saint of accountants, cooks and local history [common]
- Saint Arigius, bishop of Lyon, confessor [Lyon]
- Saint Asteria
- Nuestra Señora del Buen Suceso, Patroness of Parañaque, Philippines
- Saint Geraint of Dumnonia
|This page uses content from Wikia's Christian Knowledge Base Wiki. The original article was at August 10. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with the Religion-wiki, the text of the Christian Knowledge Base Wiki is available under the CC-BY-SA.|