Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Daughter of Coeus
Asteria was the daughter of the Titans Coeus and Phoebe and sister of Leto. According to Hesiod, by Perses she had a daughter Hecate. The Titan goddess of prophetic dreams, astrology and necromancy, Asteria flung herself into the Aegean Sea in the form of a quail in order to escape the advances of Zeus. She became the "quail island" of Ortygia,. which became identified with Delos, which was the only piece of earth to give refuge to the fugitive Leto when, pregnant with Zeus's children, she was pursued by vengeful Hera.
According to a lost poem of Eudoxus of Cnidus (c. 355 BCE) by Zeus she became the mother of the Heracles in the form in which Hellenes thought they recognized him (by interpretatio graeca) as he was worshipped among Phoenicians at Tyre.
Asteria was one of the Alkyonides. Along with her sisters, she flung herself into the sea and was transformed into a kingfisher.
Consort of Phocus
Consort of Bellerophon
Asteria, daughter of Hydeus, was the mother of Hydissos by Bellerophon. Her son is known for having founded a city in Caria which was named after him.
Daughter of Coronus
- ↑ Hesiod, Theogony, 404ff.
- ↑ John Tzetzes.
- ↑ Theoi Project - Titanis Asteria
- ↑ Athenaeus (392d) summarizes the lost poetical narrative of Eudoxus, telling how Heracles the son of Zeus by Asteria was killed by Typhon in Libya.
- ↑ Diodorus Siculus, Library of History, 4. 16.3 (on-line text)
- ↑ Apollodorus, Bibliotheca, 2. 1. 5
- ↑ Suda s. v. Alkyonides
- ↑ Tzetzes on Lycophron, 53
- ↑ Tzetzes on Lycophron, 939
- ↑ Stephanus of Byzantium, s. v. Hydissos
- ↑ Scholia on Apollonius Rhodius, Argonautica, 1. 139, citing Pherecydes of Leros
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original article was at Asteria. The list of authors can be seen in the page history.|