The holy, glorious and all-laudable Apostle Timon of the Seventy was among the first deacons in the Church along with Stephen, Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Parmenas and Nicholas. Although they died at various times and in various places, they are commemorated together on July 28. St. Timon is also commemorated on December 30.
St. Timon was later appointed by the Apostles as bishop of the city of Bostra in Arabia and suffered from the Jews and pagans for preaching the Gospel. He was thrown into a furnace, but by the power of God he came out of it unharmed. The tradition of the Roman Church says that St. Timon died by crucifixion.
- O holy apostle Timon,
- Entreat the merciful God,
- To grant our souls forgiveness of transgressions.
Kontakion (Tone 1)
- You were holy deacons and eye-witnesses of the Word,
- And chosen vessel of the faith,
- O glorious Nicanor, Prochorus, Parmenas and Timon.
- Therefore today we celebrate your sacred memory,
- Blessing you in gladness of heart.
- Apostle Timon the Deacon of the Seventy, July 28 (OCA)
- Apostle Timon the Deacon of the Seventy, December 30 (OCA)
- Prochoros, Nicanor, Timon, & Parmenas the Apostles of the 70 (GOARCH)
- The Holy Apostles Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon and Parmenas, July 28 (Prologue of Ohrid)
- The Holy Apostle Timon, December 30 (Prologue of Ohrid)ro:Apostolul Timon