Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Smt. Justice Anna Chandy
May 04, 1905
|Employer||Kerala High Court|
|Known for||First woman Judge of India|
|Term||February 09, 1959 to April 5, 1967|
Justice Anna Chandy was the first woman Judge of India   . She became the first woman judge in India in a district court in 1937 . She was the first woman in India, and probably the second in the world to reach a high court judgeship (1959) .
She was born on May 04, 1905 in erstwhile Travancore state , now in Kerala state of India. She was admitted to the bar in 1928 and was appointed as a district judge (musif) in Travancore  by Sir C.P. Ramaswami Iyer , the then Dewan of Travancore .
High Court Judge
She was the Judge of Kerala High Court from 9 February 1959 to April 5, 1967 . This raised the career hopes of women in the legal field in India. It had also helped herald a gender-neutral system of justice as quoted by Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court V.K. Bali . The High Court of Kerala is the highest court of justice in the Indian state of Kerala and in the Union Territory of Lakshadweep. The High Court of Kerala is headquartered at Kochi. Another woman judge from Kerala High Court, Kumari Justice M. Fathima Beevi became the first woman judge in Supreme Court of India.  .
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "Former Judges of High Court of Kerala". http://highcourtofkerala.nic.in/frmrjudges.html. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Women of Achievement". http://www.thelizlibrary.org/collections/woa/woa05-04.html. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "supremecourtofindia.nic.in Page 3/5". http://supremecourtofindia.nic.in/new_links/NBK.pdf. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- ↑ "First in India — First woman judicial officer: Anna Chandy, who was appointed munsif in the Travancore state in 1937.". http://www.culturopedia.com/first_in_india_women.html. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- ↑ "First woman judicial officer: Anna Chandy, who was appointed munsif in the Travancore state in 1937.". http://www.indiaepostoffice.com/women47/index3.html. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- ↑ "First to appoint a lady advocate – Mrs. Anna Chandy — as District Judge.". http://cprfoundation.org/otherpages/01-cprmain.htm. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- ↑ "The Hindu daily -Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court V.K. Bali". http://www.thehindu.com/2006/11/06/stories/2006110604960300.htm. Retrieved 2008-05-28.