Andy Statman first gained acclaim as a mandolinist in pioneering bluegrass bands Country Cookin' and Breakfast Special. Statman, a Jew, began to be of the mind that bluegrass was not his music. He turned to Klezmer music, traditional Jewish folk music. Now playing clarinet, he recorded various Klezmer albums that were influential in the Klezmer revival that began in the late 1970s. In the 1990s, he began playing Chassidic melodies, fusing bluegrass, Klezmer, and jazz along the way.
Statman learned Klezmer clarinet from legendary Klezmer clarinetist Dave Tarras, who bequeathed his clarinets to him. Statman produced Dave Tarras's last recordings. Between this apprenticeship and his practice of teaching in addition to performing, Statman has become the dean of living Klezmer clarinetists.
The Andy Statman Trio, which includes bassist Jim Whitney and percussionist Larry Eagle, plays regularly at Derech Amuno Synagogue in Greenwich Village in New York City, and tours nationally as schedules allow.
In 1983, he performed on the Antilles Records release Swingrass '83.
He does participate in a yearly Klezmer concert series with Itzhak Perlman and other Klezmer superstars.
In 2008, Statman appeared as a guest on Bela Fleck and the Flecktones holiday album Jingle All the Way, playing both clarinet and mandolin. The album won Best Pop Instrumental Album at the 51st Grammy Awards. He joined the group in concert on December 10 at University at Buffalo, Center for the Arts, and December 16 at Philadelphia's Kimmel Center.
- 1979 Jewish Klezmer Music
- 1980 Flatbush Waltz
- 1983 Mandolin Abstractions
- 1985 New Acoustic Music
- 1986 Nashville Mornings, New York Nights
- 1988 Rounder Bluegrass, Vol. 2
- 1992 Andy Statman Klezmer Orchestra
- 1994 Klezmer Suite
- 1994 Andy's Ramble
- 1995 Acoustic Disc: 100% Handmade Music, Vol. 2
- 1995 Doyres (Generations): Traditional Klezmer Recordings, 1979-1994
- 1995 Songs of Our Fathers
- 1995 Holding On: Dreamers, Visionaries, Eccentrics & Other American Heroes
- 1996 American Fogies, Vol. 1
- 1996 Blue Ribbon Fiddle
- 1996 Klezmer Music: A Marriage of Heaven & Earth
- 1996 Rounder Bluegrass Guitar
- 1997 Between Heaven & Earth: Music of the Jewish Mystics
- 1998 The Hidden Light
- 1998 Holiday Tradition
- 1998 The Soul of Klezmer
- 2000 Klezmer: From Old World To Our World
- 2001 Bluegrass Mountain Style
- 2001 New York City: Global Beat of the Boroughs - Music From New York City's Ethnic....
- 2004 Wisdom, Understanding, Knowledge
- 2005 On Air
- 2005 Avodas Halevi
- 2006 East Flatbush Blues
- 2006 Awakening from Above
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original article was at Andy Statman. The list of authors can be seen in the page history.|