All Souls is an Anglican Church in the Diocese of Sydney, Australia. The church is located on the corner of Norton & Marion Streets, Leichhardt, New South Wales. Leichhardt is a suburb of Sydney, in the State of New South Wales.
The church building to house All Soul’s was opened for public worship on Saturday, January 7th, 1882. The building and the land together cost £800 .
Current church building
Soon after the first building was opened, the first Rector of the parish Thomas Holme encouraged the parish to build a new and bigger church to house the congregation. The new church was designed by Blacket Bros . This is the architectural firm founded by Edmund Blacket who was a prominent Anglican Church architect of the eighteenth century.. The church is designed in the early English gothic style. It has a simple brick façade with a tile roof and is finished with sandstone details. There is also a box shaped tower with a slender style spire which was built at a later time. The building is heritage listed as be notable for its landmark tower . The church’s website describes the building is being “distinctively evangelical with its short sanctuary and lack of cruciform design”. The first service in the new building was conducted on 2 February 1884.
In the news
The church came to notice in the media with its introduction of a “café” style church service in 2004. This was to accommodate the changing nature of the Leichhardt area since the post-war immigration of Europeans to Australia. Since World War II, the area has become known as the “Little Italy” of Sydney. The café service was there a natural extension of the café streetscape of the Norton Street .
Later during the soccer world cup, the church posted a sign outside its building that read "Jesus saves better than Kalak"  . Later, another sign read "We're putting the mental back into fundamentalism."  and then later "We're putting the fun back into fundamentalism .
Prominent members of Ministry
The Rev Dr Leon Morris, later New Testament scholar at Principal of Ridley College, taught Sunday School at the branch church of St Mark's Lilyfield as a young man in the 1930s.
The Rev. Dr. Tim Foster was appointed in May 2002 and left in May 2009 to the role of Director of Ridley Melbourne. His replacement, announced on 7 June, 2009, is Rev. Darren Hindle, a graduate of Sydney Mission and Bible College and serving in Hong Kong at the time of the appointment. Mr Hindle is due to begin in late September, 2009.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Home page, http://www.allsouls.net.au/About%20Us%20History1.htm
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 NSW Heritage Office, http://www.heritage.nsw.gov.au/07_subnav_01_2.cfm?itemid=1940284
- ↑ Church spruiks cafe society to spread the word - National - www.smh.com.au
- ↑ "Dream is Over", The Glebe, 27 JUNe 2006, http://www.theglebe.com.au/article/2006/06/27/534_news.html
- ↑ Inside Sport
- ↑ Mental as anything - Spike - www.smh.com.au
- ↑ ” Fun in old time religion”, The Glebe, 24 JUNE 2004
- ↑ Breillat, Thomas Chaplin (1804 - 1873) Biographical Entry - Australian Dictionary of Biography Online
- Church website, http:// http://www.allsouls.net.au
- Anglican Diocese of Sydney website http://www.sydneyanglicans.net/
- New South Heritage Office, http://www.heritage.nsw.gov.au/07_subnav_01_2.cfm?itemid=1940284
Return to Churches in New South Wales Index