Crooke was a Middle East advisor to Javier Solana (1997 - 2002), involved in the diplomatic efforts in the Siege of the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem, was a member of the Mitchell Committee into the causes of the 2000 Intifada, and held clandestine meetings with the Hamas leadership in June 2002. He is an active advocate of engagement with Hamas to whom which referred as "freedom fighters".
- Daniel Pipes, Alastair Crooke's Conflict Forum and Sharing Jokes with Hamas, Jerusalem Post, April 20, 2005.
- Alastair Crooke biography
- Alastair Crooke, a mini-biography
- Fitzgerald: Follow the money trail, July 14, 2006.
- Alastair Crooke,
- The Essence of Islamist Resistance: A Different View of Iran, Hezbollah and Hamas, New Perspectives Quarterly, Spring 2009.
- David Samuels (September 23, 2009). "The Spy Who Loved Hamas. And Hezbollah. And Iran". Mother Jones. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2009/09/spy-who-loved-hamas-and-hezbollah-and-iran. Retrieved November 16, 2009.