In the Roman Catholic tradition, an Act of Reparation is a prayer or devotion with the intent to repair the "sins of others", e.g. for the repair of the sin of blasphemy, the sufferings of Jesus Christ or as Acts of Reparation to the Virgin Mary. These prayers do not usually involve a petition for a living or deceased beneficiary, but aim to repair sins.
The creature's love should be given in return for the love of the Creator, another thing follows from this at once, namely that to the same uncreated Love, if so be it has been neglected by forgetfulness or violated by offense, some sort of compensation must be rendered for the injury, and this debt is commonly called by the name of reparation.
Prayers of reparation
A number of prayers as an Act of Reparation to the Virgin Mary appear in the Raccolta Catholic prayer book (approved by a Decree of December 15 1854, and published in 1898 by the Holy See). The Raccolta includes a number of diverse prayers for reparation.
- The Rosary of the Holy Wounds (which does not include the usual rosary mysteries) focuses on specific redemptive aspects of Christ's suffering in Calvary, with emphasis on the souls in purgatory.
- A well known Act of Reparation to Jesus Christ and for the reparation of blasphemy is The Golden Arrow Holy Face Devotion (Prayer) first introduced by Sister Marie of St Peter in 1844. This devotion (started by Sister Marie and then promoted by the Venerable Leo Dupont) was approved by Pope Leo XIII in 1885.
- A frequently offered Act of Reparation to The Holy Trinity is based on the messages of Our Lady of Fatima and is usually called the Angel Prayer.
Duty of reparation
We are holden to the duty of reparation and expiation by a certain more valid title of justice and of love, of justice indeed, in order that the offense offered to God by our sins may be expiated
The pontiff further emphasized, "Moreover this duty of expiation is laid upon the whole race of men"
The need for reparation has been mentioned in some Marian apparitions. The messages of Our Lady of Akita, which were formally approved by the Holy See in 1988 by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XVI) include the following statement attributed to the Blessed Virgin Mary:
- "Many men in this world afflict the Lord. I desire souls to console Him to soften the anger of the Heavenly Father. I wish, with my Son, for souls who will repair by their suffering and their poverty for the sinners and ingrates."
Organizations for reparation
- The Archconfraternity of Reparation for blasphemy and the neglect of Sunday was founded by Msgr. Pierre Louis Parisis in 1847.
- The Archconfraternity of the Holy Face was founded in 1851 by the Venerable Leo Dupont, the "Holy Man of Tours".
- In 1886 Pope Leo XIII authorized the formation of the Archconfraternity of the Mass of Reparation in Rome.
- Rosary of the Holy Wounds
- Acts of Reparation to the Virgin Mary
- Acts of Reparation to Jesus Christ
- Acts of Reparation to The Holy Trinity
- The Golden Arrow Holy Face Devotion (Prayer)
- The encyclical Miserentissimus Redemptor
- Pontifical Congragation of the Benedictine Sisters of the Reparation of the Holy Face
- ↑ Acts of Reparation http://catholicism.about.com/od/prayers/qt/Reparation_HN.htm
- ↑ Miserentissimus Redemptor Encyclical of Pope Pius XI 
- ↑ Vatican archives http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/letters/2000/documents/hf_jp-ii_let_20001021_riparatrici_en.html
- ↑ Joseph P. Christopher et al., 2003 The Raccolta, St Athanasius Press ISBN 978-0970652669
- ↑ Michael Freze, 1993, Voices, Visions, and Apparitions, OSV Publishing ISBN 087973454X
- ↑ Dorothy Scallan. The Holy Man of Tours. (1990) ISBN 0895553902
- ↑ Our Lady of Fatima http://www.fatima.org/
- ↑ Story of Fatima http://www.salvemariaregina.info/SalveMariaRegina/SMR-104.html
- ↑ Catholic Encyclopedia
- ↑ Byzantine Catholic Church in America - Hildebrand Gregori a Step Closer to Canonization