The year 2002 .
- German Pentecostal minister Reinhard Bonnke conducts the largest known evangelistic crusade in history. Six million people attend his crusade in Lagos, Nigeria.
- The New Catholic Encyclopedia goes online and is available at some libraries.
- The mulitigenre crossover smash "I Can Only Imagine" by Contemporary Christian music group MercyMe wins several Dove Awards: Song of the Year, Contemporary/Pop Recorded Song of the Year, and Songwriter of the Year Award (for Bart Millard)
- Boston College president William P. Leahy, SJ, initiated the Church in the 21st Century program as a means of moving the Catholic Church "from crisis to renewal." The initiative provided the Society of Jesus with a platform for examining issues brought about by the worldwide Roman Catholic sex abuse cases, including the priesthood, celibacy, sexuality, women's roles, and the role of the laity.
- August 13: American Catholic bishops issue a joint statement, "Reflections on Covenant and Mission," with leaders of Reform and Conservative Judaism, which affirms that Christians should not target Jews for conversion.
|21st century (2001-2100)|
| 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010