Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The years 1501-1600 AD. Major events of the 16th century AD include:
- 1508–1512: Michelangelo paints the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
- 1512-1517. Fifth Lateran Council attempts reform of the Catholic Church.
- 1517: Martin Luther posts the 95 theses, marking the beginning of the Protestant Reformation, which continues into the next century.
- c. 1520–1660: English Renaissance.
- 1521: Pope Leo X excommunicates Martin Luther, who burns the papal bull. King Henry VIII of England writes the Defence of the Seven Sacraments in response to Martin Luther. Pope Leo X awards King Henry the title of "Defender of the Faith."
- 1527: Sack of Rome ends the Italian Renaissance.
- 1531–32: The Church of England breaks away from the Roman Catholic Church and recognizes King Henry VIII as the head of the Church.
- 1534: Society of Jesus founded.
- April 16, 1541. Martin Luther appears before the Diet of Worms.
- 1543: Nicolaus Copernicus publishes De revolutionibus orbium coelestium (On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres), which argues that the Earth revolves around the sun (heliocentrism) and opens the Scientific Revolution.
- 1545–1563: Council of Trent marks the beginning of the Catholic Counterreformation.
- 1562–98: French Wars of Religion between Catholics and (Calvinist) Huguenots.
- 1580: Publication of the Book of Concord, a compilation of early Lutheran confessional documents.
|Biblical Timeline (By Centuries)|
|Before Christ (B.C.)|
| The Beginning |
40th BC | 39th BC | 38th BC | 37th BC | 36th BC | 35th BC | 34th BC | 33rd BC
32nd BC | 31st BC | 30th BC | 29th BC | 28th BC| 27th BC | 26th BC | 25th BC
24th BC| 23rd BC | 22nd BC| 21st BC | 20th BC | 19th BC | 18th BC | 17th BC
16th BC | 15th BC | 14th BC| 13th BC| 12th BC| 11th BC | 10th BC | 9th BC
8th BC| 7th BC| 6th BC| 5th BC| 4th BC| 3rd BC| 2nd BC| 1st BC
|Anno Domini (A.D.)|
| 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th |
16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | End times