The 12th century consists of the years 1101-1200 AD.
- 1123. First Lateran Council, establishes the relative rights of the Catholic Church and those of the Holy Roman Emperors regarding the investature of bishops.
- 1149. Second Lateran Council. Affirms First Latern Council; declares Clerical marriages to be invalid; regulates clerical dress regulated. Attacks on clerics are to be punished by excommunication.
- 1147-1149. Pope Eugene III launches the Second Crusade
- 1179. Third Lateran Council. Limits papal electees to the cardinals alone, condens simony, and forbids the promotion of anyone to the episcopate before the age of thirty.
- 1189-1192. Pope Gregory VIII calls the Third Crusade to reconquer the Holy Land from the Muslim leader Saladin.
Births and deaths
|Biblical Timeline (By Centuries)|
|Before Christ (B.C.)|
| The Beginning |
40th BC | 39th BC | 38th BC | 37th BC | 36th BC | 35th BC | 34th BC | 33rd BC
32nd BC | 31st BC | 30th BC | 29th BC | 28th BC| 27th BC | 26th BC | 25th BC
24th BC| 23rd BC | 22nd BC| 21st BC | 20th BC | 19th BC | 18th BC | 17th BC
16th BC | 15th BC | 14th BC| 13th BC| 12th BC| 11th BC | 10th BC | 9th BC
8th BC| 7th BC| 6th BC| 5th BC| 4th BC| 3rd BC| 2nd BC| 1st BC
|Anno Domini (A.D.)|
| 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th |
16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | End times