Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The ten comparisons made to what attachment to sense desire is like:
1. A skeleton whose bare bones do nothing to feed the hunger of a dog
2. A piece of raw flesh which two birds are fighting over and one may die from the fight
3. A burning torch that is about to burn the hand of the person holding the torch
4. A pit of burning charcoal that we may be pushed into
5. A poisonous snake which might attack us at any given moment
6. A dream
7. Borrowed possessions, of no lasting value
8. A tree laden with fruit that perishes as people grab for the fruit, breaking the branches
9. An impaling stick
10. A slaughterhouse where lives are lost
(from Majjhima Nikaya 22)
Note that a piece of flesh is used as a comparison to the attachment to sense desires and more importantly a slaughterhouse where animals are killed for meat (numbers 2 and 10 above).